Another year passed and another list of books read. Let’s dive in!
Stranger in a Strange Land, by Robert A. Heinlein
The sci-fi version of the “boy raised by wolves” trope, but instead of wolves, it’s aliens from Mars. A baby named Valentine Smith was the only survivor on the first expedition to Mars. Years later, a second expedition discovers Valentine has survived thanks to the Martian inhabitants.
Brought up using Martian social and psychological constructs and unaware of any Human customs, Valentine struggles to understand Humanity and their limited use of their true potential.
The Dice Man, by Luke Rhinehart
Luke, a succesful psychiatrist, gets bored with life and decides to bring back the excitement. He hands over all major and minor decisions to the throw of the dice. This book questions the perception of morality in a very entertaining way. Behind the jokes and sillyness lies a story of how social constructs limit us in the choices we can make in life.
- The Double Helix - The Discovery of the Structure of DNA, by James D. Watson
- Solaris, by Stanislaw Lem
- Mythos, by Stephen Fry
- Animal Farm, by George Orwel
- Meditations, by Marcus Aurelius
- Candide, by Voltaire
- Brave New World, by Aldous Huxley
- The Ghost Brigades, by John Scalzi
- Heroes, by Stephen Fry
- Il Principe, by Machiavelli
- Dune, by Frank Herbert
- Slaughterhouse Five, by Kurt Vonnegut
- The McKinsey Mind, by Ethan M. Rasiel
Check them out via my Goodreads